4-H Outdoor Adventures
Interested in a challenge? One that requires outdoor skills in backpacking, camping,
compass/map reading, outdoor cookery, safety and working with other people? A challenge
demanding physical conditioning to take on mountain hikes of 4-5 miles a day carrying
a 35-45 pound backpack? The 2022 4-H Outdoor Adventure Backpacking
Program can offer you those challenges. Crews made up of 4-H youth and adult
volunteers from across the state will have the opportunity to experience this unique and challenging program.
The 4-H Outdoor Adventure Program is an outdoor leadership program designed for teens with guidance from adults. The purpose is to develop character and integrity in young people through teaching teamwork, leadership and outdoor skills; and allows them to share their knowledge and skills with others. It provides participants the opportunity to see themselves from an entirely new perspective. Experiencing the challenge of the out-of-doors, participants grow personally, developing an understanding of themselves and their limitations. By being a member of a crew, they learn to understand and appreciate the needs of others and their team. Involvement in the program instills a new respect for the natural environment, and helps participants encompasses many 4-H project area and develops in young people an appreciation for and respect of the outdoors, animal life and other areas of nature.
Parents and campers will need to schedule an on-line training this spring to provide
them needed information for gathering required gear and completing the necessary
forms. A required two and one-half days training will be held April 29 - May 1, 2022 for
participants. The actual trip will take place July 11-17, 2022 in the Pecos Wilderness
located northeast of Santa Fe, NM. Plans are to have two backpacking crews. Youth
must be 14 years of age before January 1, 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate?14 years old or older on January 1 to participate in all Oklahoma State Outdoor events. 13 years old or older on January 1 to participate in the Shakedown Training.
- What are the dates?Spring - Parent/Camper Training – online with a face to face option for those that are interested - Required for participant and one parent/guardian. Contact Brad Elliott to schedule. Will take approximately 1-2 hours.
April 29 - May 1, 2022 - Shakedown Training - Location – to be determined.
July 11 – 17, 2022 - Trip to New Mexico
- What is the cost?$450.00 per participant. Fees include Parent/Camper
Rally, Shakedown Training, transportation for participants,
meals at shakedown and in the back country, lodging and
insurance. (Participants will be responsible for one meal during transport).
- Do the participants need any spending money?Small amount of money will be needed for souvenirs and snacks they want to purchase.
- When is the application due?Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. There will be a $150.00 registration fee. The deadline for applications is April 15, 2022.
- What is the cancellation policy?Registration fee is nonrefundable unless the trip is canceled due to lack of participation
- What are the chaperone requirements?Chaperones must be 25 years old, certified 4-H volunteers.
- What trips have been taken in the past?
- 2012 – Pecos Wilderness in Northern New Mexico. Near Santa Fe, NM
- 2013 – Carson National Forest in Northern New Mexico. Near Taos, NM
- 2014 – Buffalo River in Arkansas.
- 2015 – Chicago Basin and Big Molas Lake, Colorado. Between Durrango and Silverton.
2016 - Pecos Wilderness in Northern New Mexico. Near Santa Fe, NM
- 2017 – No trip was taken
- 2018 – San Juan Mountains, CO. Round trip from Little Molas Lake to Beaver Dam Ponds in the Weminuche Wilderness Area on the Colorado Trail
- What must be purchased for the trip?Required Personal Equipment List at the end of the information and registration document contains the required items. The equipment list describes what is required and what is optional. There is also a doctor’s physical required for youth participating in the July trip. The doctor’s physical is not required for Shakedown Training.
- What forms must be completed to participate in Outdoor Adventure?First everyone must complete the registration form. Once the registration form is received, we will send Youth Form 1 and a Health and Medical Record (completed by a physician) for the youth participants and Adult Form 4 for the chaperones.. The Youth Form 1 and the Adult Form 4 are required for Shakedown. The Medical Record is only required for the trip in July.
- What is Leave No Trace?Leave No Trace is a set of principles that promotes reduction of human affects on the wilderness. General saying is “only leave foot prints, and only take pictures.”