Project Guide Sheets
Careers in Design and Construction
Explore the opportunities for making your 4-H project a life-long profession.
A portfolio is an accumulation of documents, photos, and reflections that summarizes the apparel design, interior design and/or hobbies and textile design work done during your 4-H career, as well as being a valuable source for ideas for future project work and resources. Each year, the member may add to the portfolio.
Elements and Principles of Design
Resources for learning the elements and principles of design. The elements and principles of design make the finished product visually appealing and unique. They are just as important as the skills being using to construct the project. Think of them like a recipe to create your work. The elements are like the ingredients and the principles are the instructions. By using elements, you create principles, such as "By repeating lines (the element) I created rhythm (the principle).”
- The ABC's of Art: the elements and principles of design - Color version of booklet created by M.C. Gillis.
- Pulling it Together (Interior Design) - Iowa CES - By learning and using the elements and principles of design, you will increase your understanding of how and why some things work together and some simply “don’t look right.”
- Design: Exploring the Elements & Principles - Iowa CES
A design is a visual plan you can use to create your 4-H project. Everything you can see has a design. When you describe something you see, you use words that tell about the lines, shapes, colors, textures, and spaces. Some combinations of design elements (line, shape, color, texture, and space) work better than others. There are some guidelines to help understand why some combinations work and others do not work as well. These guidelines—rhythm, proportion, emphasis, balance, and unity—are the principles of design.
- Elements of Design - Utah CES
- Creativity and Design Project - Utah CES
Knowledge of the Elements and Principles of Design provides there are endless options for applying creativity and innovation to the design of a variety of projects and creations. Here’s an example of how the elements and principles of design can be applied to the design and creation of a stuffed friend.
Leadership in Design and Construction
The primary purpose for this project is to grow and enhance your skills as a teacher and/or facilitator. The presentation should demonstrate the use of a lesson plan, experiential learning, teaching and learning styles and 4-H life skills.
- Creative Leadership
- Planning a Lesson - Teen Action and Growth
Careful preparation of your lesson will aid in communicating a message, because you will feel more secure and confident in front of your audience. If you are well prepared, they will pay more attention, and there will be fewer problems with loss of attention, which can result in dealing with behavior and discipline.
Resources and guide for developing a multi-media presentation.
- Multimedia Presentation - A Multimedia presentation can be defined as media that combines different content forms such as text, audio, still images, animation and video to get a multi-faceted finished product. Multimedia content is recorded and played back on electronic media devices – flash drive or CD. Examples of Multimedia presentations: Movie, PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.
- How to Prepare a Multimedia Presentation - Nebraska 4-H Communications Series
Recycle and Redesign
Brings together concepts of design and construction in apparel, interiors, hobbies and textiles. 4-H members are encouraged to recycle an old fashion, home interior item, textile or other product into a new end product. The finished product might be the creation of a brand new item or embellishing an old.
- Frugal Fashion - The purpose for this project/product is for youth to demonstrate their ability to be a thrifty consumer. A thrifty consumer considers the quality of the product and the value of a dollar.
- Recycling Your Clothes and Fabric - There are a variety of options for recycling unwanted, but still usable clothing and fabrics. Resale, donation, and reuse of clothing are already well-established practices in many Oklahoma communities.
- Recycled Household Textiles and Clothing - When Oklahomans recycle their unwanted clothing and textiles, it provides three main benefits: funds charitable programs, reduces solid waste, and provides economic stimulus and employment.
Projects and guides for applying Science to the design and construction projects.
- Creative Scientific Discovery - The purpose for this creative component is for youth to learn and apply the scientific method to an experiment focused in Interior Design and Construction. The same concept can be used by any age with any Design and Construction area and reported in the portfolio.
- STEM Quilt Making - Clothing and textiles-related projects reinforce science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) standards required for high school graduation.
Service-learning is more than "citizenship." Citizenship is only one piece of the total learning experience. Service-Learning intentionally integrates and emphasizes both service and learning. Youth engaged in service-learning not only provide direct service to the community, but also learn and grow in their knowledge, skills, and attitudes. Effective service-learning has benefits for young people, sponsoring organizations, communities, and society.
- Creative Service Learning - Service-learning connects meaningful community service with academic learning, personal growth and civic responsibility. Service-learning is a much more involved experience than a community service activity or citizenship experience. It requires in-depth study to plan and initiate appropriate action to tackle important issues and ultimately to make a real difference in the life of an individual(s) and in the community. The feature that distinguishes service-learning from volunteering or community service is that both learning and service are intentionally emphasized.
A story board, sometimes called a mood board, is used to organize ideas. A story board is a collage that uses pictures, drawings, and photographs to communicate an idea, process or emotion. These images will help guide the content of your apparel or interiors project.
- Storyboard Instructions - A storyboard, sometimes called a mood board, is used to organize ideas. A storyboard is a collage that uses pictures, drawings, and photographs to communicate an idea, process, or emotion. These images help guide the content of your apparel or interiors project.