Communication and Expressive Arts
Find information, resources and ideas below to help 4-H members and families explore project areas. The communication and expressive arts topics are broken down into specific areas (communications, graphic arts, photography, public speaking, theater arts and video/digital movie production) for 4-H'ers of all ages and levels.
Communications - General
- 4-H Communication Lessons - 18 Individual lessons for club or project meetings
- Actions Speak Louder
- Active Listening
- Communication Collage
- Communication Feedback
- Final Draft
- Finding Sources
- Making Sense
- Mixed Message Mania!
- Narrowing Ideas
- Narrowing Topics
- One to One
- Organizing Ideas
- Outlining - a Speech, Paper or Project
- Play or Skit - Writing a Play or Skit
- Recipe for Writing
- Recording - Properly Citing References and Resources
- Rough Draft
- Sounds Like Who?
- The Gossip Game
- The Talk 10 List
- Two by Two
- Words Apart
- You Don't Say
The practice or profession of designing print or electronic forms of visual information, as for an advertisement, publication, website or any other type of visual communication by effectively combining text and graphics. The finished product is pleasing to the eye, yet works effective in communicating a message.
- Digital Camera - getting better pictures
- Photography Content - Using the Elements and Principles of Art
- The Photo Essay
- Creating Visual Presentation
- Exploring Topics
- Finding Sources
- PowerPoint presentation factsheet
- Presentation Outlining
- Recording - properly citing references and resources
- Rough Draft
- Techniques - presentations
- Visual Aids
Video/Digital Movie Production
- Action - Making Videos and Movies: An excellent publication about all aspects of production making. It also includes an in-depth glossary explaining the lingo of video production. Created by Wisconsin 4-H Extension.
- Communications Made Easy - Includes numerous tips and ideas to help pull together a production team, write a script, speak in front of a camera, and organize graphic designs on a video production.
- Elements and Principles of Design - Random Techniques as applied to Production. Includes graphics to illustrate the various techniques.
- Production Techniques - Random Techniques as applied to Production. Includes graphics to illustrate the various techniques.
- Shooting Your Videos - Page 39 of the Michigan 4-H Extension Communications Toolkit, this page is a quick snapshot of various tips to improving the quality of the videotapes you shoot.
- Storyboard Sheet Type 1 - A basic storyboard to help write and organize a production
- Storyboard Sheet Type 2 - Another basic storyboard in a different format to help write and organize a production.
Visual Arts - General Arts And Crafts
- 4-H Visual Arts Curriculum
- Art Lessons - Simple, streamlined, 1-page PDF lesson plans designed and tested by real art teachers. Grades K-12.
- Crafts: Developing Youth
- The ABC's of Art: the elements and principles of design - Color Version of Book created by M.C. Gillis